Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Bar

For the last three and a half years we have been on this crazy journey through law school. For someone who never saw herself married to a minister or a lawyer, I will now have been married to both. God laughs when we make plans. Brad sits for the Bar on Tuesday and Wednesday and one chapter of this journey will end. But the best part is just beginning. As I reflect on how hard these last years have been and how different it will be to re-enter the world of working instead of going to school, I wouldn't trade one minute. I think we have learned a lot about how to survive as a couple and build a network of people who love us and love our children. I realize I have been quite the consumer of late. It is time for me to focus on cultivating friendships and growing in a new direction. I read this article lately about how hard it is to make friends after 20. It discussed how we all seem to retreat to our homes once kids come along. I can attest that we have been less likely to develop deep friendships throughout law school and take time to invest because we have been so uncertain about our future. If I had that part to do over again I might do things differently. I wish that I could be someone who so lives in this moment that I let myself live uninhibited with people and, thus, carry great friends with me wherever I go. I know some of these kinds of people and I have learned lots from them over the years. I hate to put it this way, but I am going to get on with the business of living and try to create the kind of community I want my girls to grow up in. So, it seems the Bar is a place marker for our family. It marks the end of being "stuck" and the beginning of making lifelong relationships!

No comments: